Wednesday

these are a few of my Favorite things!


Piece 1: The Spirit Wall:The many different framed pieces on my wall signify to me and my family my many spiritual ‘ways’, both in the physical sense and on a deeper level as well. For example, above the vase of crystal orbs is an etching of the famed city of Assisi, home of St Francis. I travelled to Assisi on one of my many spiritual pilgrimages; I was incredibly moved by being there. Below this etching of Assisi is my beloved Tibetan mandala, hand painted in free hand by Tibetan monks. The blue “Spirits of the Cathar” piece top right is a gorgeous ethereal piece given to me by my eldest daughter, Matisse. She knows me so well as this piece incorporates the wild horses of Southern France, the colour blue, the message of the Cathar and is produced as art – perfect!

One of my discoveries of the past year or two is the Central American artist Carlos Barros. His art is all intuitive. He allows the spirits in his pieces to reveal themselves as he works. He lives here in Sydney and his art inspires me, the charcoal “Woman on Stool” is my small piece of Carlos’s art. He, like me, is infused with the spirit of indigenous South America, my mother was from Chile and my South American lineage is Incan, yes Machupichu! The photo is my husband with my swaddled newborn second daughter, Ondine, just minutes after our homebirth. Below a simple water colour from my beloved Paris. The angophora tree is of course a symbol of nature’s exquisite beauty and the interconnectedness of everything, photographed by dear friend and pro photographer, Michael Simmons. The Central American burning hearts are an ever reminder of the beauty of the humble heart. I am motivated in my professional work as a Spirit facilitator by the symbolic burning heart.

My “Spirit Wall”  reminds me of the many roads up the mountain of Spirit!

Piece 2 The outrigger canoe paddle:I was an athletic kid. In Hawaii, the islands of my birth, outrigger canoeing is a local culture – I guess similar to surf boat racing is here in Oz. I used to paddle competitively for the Outrigger canoe club, the most prestigious beach club in Hawaii. Looking at it  takes me back, in the blink of an eye, to the sensuality and the salubrious tropical island life of my youth! The name I had put on this traditional Hawaiian paddle is “Kiko’ O I Kala” which literally means reach for the sun. Even in those days my heart was moving towards the beauty in the unseen universe. Hawaiian Spirit, which is “Aloha” was infused in me in all that I did, whether canoe paddling, dancing hula, or riding my bike to a rainforest to sit under a waterfall. The land there speaks to you if you have ears to hear!

Piece 3 my vessel of Crystal Orbs:Now to my beloved crystal orbs! In a copy of a Louis XIV style vase, which I snared for next to nix at a Myer sale. This is really one of my favourite things . I love crystals, but I have found that my house can look kind of cliché new agey if my crystal pieces are not displayed with an awareness of classic form and placement. This is my childhood artistic training showing through. My father, as a set designer on and off Broadway and the theatre background that I was raised with in Hawaii, taught me to view all things from my own personal aesthetic with an artistic eye and a spiritual context. The crystal orbs are items of sheer beauty in their simple shape yet revealing the magic of our earth.

Piece number 4 Sanna’s name (unseen):
“I am in love with beauty. My mother and father were both highly creative and innovative people, and beauty played a significant role in their lives as well. They were theatre people in the 40s, 50s and 60s. In their time they were seen as movers and shakers in the theatre industry on Broadway (Or so I am told), in fact my name was given to me by my Godmother Sanna Borge, Victor Borge’s wife. I wish I had some memory of them, but my time with them was fleeting and the little mouse that they gave me is gone. What remains is my name, so I can say this is my sole possession that relates me to the Borges.

I was at a party many years ago and was sitting with a man from Lebanon, he asked me if I knew the meaning of my name in Arabic, I didn’t, he said that it meant something like alchemy of word or heat or sun. It was also, though spelt differently but pronounced the same, the capital city of Yemen (Sana). This man let me know that often the name Sana was given to the youngest female member of the family, stating that you have all of your gifts, your bags are filled with gold, your children are healthy and as a cherry on the ‘cake’ you have Sanna.
In my world I invoke peace, harmony and beauty into my surroundings and into my favourite things. 



No comments:

Post a Comment